Thursday, August 27, 2009

Hey you, with the deep fried Twinkie! What do you think about these important issues?

Apparently, this poll is being taken by visitors to the Minnesota State Fair. I am glad that I found it before I go to the Fair, so I have a chance to actually be thoughtful about my answers. I certainly hope that the answers are not being weighed with any importance for decision making at the legislative level, because I just don't think that the answers will be informed.

Minnesota House of Representatives State Fair Poll

Should the use of medical marijuana for terminally ill patients be permitted in Minnesota?

I say "yes." Further than that, I also believe that drugs should be decriminalized and regulated like alcohol and cigarettes.

Should Minnesotans be permitted to fish with two rods at once?

See, now my first reaction to this one is "who cares?" But I bet I will have an opinion once I look into it. My knee jerk answer is one person-one rod. I found some comments from interested parties, and I am going to stick with my original answer.

When a person registers for a driver's license or state identification card, should they automatically be registered to vote?

I want to say "no" because I have this idyllic belief that registering to vote should be a thoughtful action that all responsible citizens will take by themselves. I wonder what the argument for this is.

Should Minnesota voters be allowed to cast their ballots as early as two weeks before Election Day?

Yes.

Under current law, the governor is permitted to unallot to prevent an anticipated budget deficit. Should he or she have this power?

No. In my mind, this was a disaster, a violation of the separation of powers, a dismissal of the legislative process, and it enabled Gov. Pawlenty to advance his campaign for national office.

Should bill and budget negotiations between the governor and legislative leaders be required to be open to the public?

What are the arguments for and against this? I can see that transparency would be one, and I can also see how some things should probably be private. After our recent budget debacle, however, I might lean toward "public."

Do you generally support budget cuts as opposed to increasing certain taxes in times of economic distress?

Generally, no. Generally. I do believe in efficiency, but I do not believe in cutting programs out of political avarice.

Should speeding violations be placed on a person's driving record if the driver was traveling no more than 10 mph over the speed limit in a 60 mph zone?

Um, what? I thought that tickets went on your driving record. So, they wouldn't go on your record if it was only a little bit illegal?

Should the state lottery be permitted to operate slot machines inside the ticketed area at the Minneapolis-St. Paul International Airport, meaning only air travelers with valid tickets could use the machines?

Please, no. If only because of the sound nuisance. Waiting in airports is pain enough, thank you.

The Minnesota Vikings' lease at the Metrodome expires after the 2011 season. Should any public financing for a new or refurbished stadium be contingent on voter approval?

I am generally opposed to public financing of private, money-making enterprises. If the Vikings want to help pay for my remodel, then I might consider it.

If a charter school does not offer a specific extracurricular opportunity, such as a hockey or debate team, should its students be allowed to participate in such an activity in their resident school district?

I don't know enough about charter schools or this issue to answer.

Should a local disaster assistance fund be established to help local governments deal with the aftermath of a tornado, flood or other natural disaster?

I need more information.

When a homeowner prevails in a court action against a contractor or builder to have a warranty enforced, should the homeowner also be entitled to attorney fees and other costs related to the legal action?

Hmmm... perhaps.


Here's the thing: I try to stay informed, and I know almost nothing about most of these topics. It will be interesting to see if my questions can be answered at the booth tomorrow when we go to the Fair.

No comments: